If you want to reduce your personal carbon footprint in the company of like minded people, and think you'd like to take part in a Footpaths group to do this, then we'd love to hear from you. We try to organise groups close to where participants live, and do this by maintaining a list of interested people and their contact details. Once we seem to have enough people in an area to start a group, we contact everyone on the list to see if they are still interested and what times would work for them and then go from there.
At the moment (2017) groups are coming together in Cheltenham, Holmfirth, Leicester, Sedgeborough, Stroud and Wrexham and Bangor in Wales.
If you want to go on our list of people who want to take part in a group, please fill in this form.
We use facilitation to mean helping a group to work together effectively both in terms of doing the exercises and discussions in the meetings, and more importantly in supporting each other to engage emotionally as well as intellectually with the material and each other.
In Leicester, Leicester Fixers emerged as an umbrella to bring together all individuals and hobbyist interested in repair and learning.
It is a community of amateur and professional repairers and non-repairers that works together to make and mend Leicester's material space!
They currently run Restart parties which are free community events organised by volunteers to inspire people to mend their broken gadgets, buy for longevity and prevent electronics waste.
So if you have a broken vacuum cleaner, a faulty printer or more, Come and learn how to fix your stuff.
The next Leicester restart parties in 2017 are on Saturday 25th March, 6th May, 17th June from 1-4pm at the Leicester Hackspace in the Innovation Centre on Bonners Lane/49 Oxford St, Leicester LE1 5XY.If you want to come and get help mending something:
- Please arrive during the first two hours
- Please bring devices charged and their power leads/adapters
- Please do not expect us to have spare parts or replacement mobile screens. This is not a free repair shop, it’s a pop-up community event!
if you want to come and help:
get in touch with Marie or Divya through the Leicester Fixers facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/leicesterfixers
or by sending an email to Footpaths.
This closed Facebook group is for people in Leicester who are interested in mending their broken stuff and want to learn from and support others in doing this. It's a place for us to share our experiences of fixing as well as asking practical questions and offering tips for repairing broken items. Through conversations we hope this group will connect individuals and communities in Leicester - repairers, amateurs, professionals and newbies - so we can work together to keep the broken and unloved out of landfills.
If you want to be part of the conversation then search for Leicester mend and fix on Facebook and ask to join.
Since the carbon footprints of different foods is one of the areas people know the least about, Footpaths has produced recipe books and shopping bags with information about this.
- We produced shopping bags (on organic fair-trade cotton) with a carbon footprint of various foods pyramid printed on it because Footpaths people said it would be useful to have this info with them when they bought food. They are £3.50 each + £1.00 p+p.
- We have also produced a series of four (so far) recipe books on recycled paper, where the recipes are arranged from highest to lowest carbon footprint with footprint commentary. The recipes are all comparatively low carbon and are centred around low carbon seasonal vegetables which some of us struggle to use. They are £3.50 each or £12 for a set of 4 plus £1.00p+p. So far we have:
- Celebrating celeriac
- Brilliant beetroot
- The courgettes are great recipe book
- Scrumptious Spinach